Last updated: September 20, 2019
Today I’m going to walk you through exactly how to start a WordPress blog with Dreamhost and get it all set up! Blogging has been great for my business and solidifies my prospective clients’ trust in me! I started this blog for less than $5 and you can do the same thing very easily!
Below, I have included info on hosting through Dreamhost and you get a free domain name through my link too!! (Act quickly on this though because I’m not sure how much longer they’ll give away domains for free!)
Disclosure: I am an affiliate for Dreamhost, and will receive a commission if you sign up through my referral link. This is at no additional cost to you, and you will get great pricing and a free domain name through my link.
Don’t have much money to start? No problem!
If you’re looking to start a WordPress blog for cheap, then choosing Dreamhost for your hosting needs is definitely your answer. I have had a fantastic experience with Dreamhost personally, and I host my website and blog with them for $4.95 per month. (You can barely get a Starbucks for that these days!!)
Blogging has been one of the best things ever for me. I have made so many friends through it and get to help people by sharing my practices and ideas.
Anyone can make money with a blog, it is just a matter of if you stick with it and put the time and effort in. I was able to make the money back that I paid for blog hosting very quickly!
Dreamhost is one of the top web hosting companies in 2019 and you can start your own blog with them for as low as $2.59 a month. BUT if you sign up and pay for a year or even 3 years in advance, there are even bigger savings available!
I highly recommend signing up for the 12-month hosting plan through Dreamhost. It is much more affordable and you can save a lot of money by signing up for at least 12 months. If you want the best deal possible, that would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is even over the long run.
Can’t I start a blog for free on other sites?
Yes, but they don’t have the power and freedom that a self-hosted WordPress blog provides. I highly recommend that you do not use Blogger, Wix, or any other service besides WordPress to start your blog. The number one reason to go self-hosted is that if you are ever interested in making money off your blog, you can rarely-to-almost-never do that with a free service.
You will also find many more resources that cater to WordPress. Also, you cannot run any of your own ads or affiliate links with a blog ran on a service like Blogger.
You will look way more professional if you get your own, self-hosted WordPress blog!!
What about BlueHost?
I have heard great things and not-so-great things about BlueHost. I don’t use them so I can’t give a 100% honest review, but what I do love about Dreamhost is the fact that you can pay monthly versus paying for your domain all at once! Not everyone has $100 laying around, and sometimes paying monthly is a better option for some people just starting out.
Dreamhost sounds too good to be true – is it?
No! Dreamhost is a very legit company that hosts over 1.5 million websites and has been in business since 1998. Their hosting is safe and reliable and my website has not been down since I’ve started using them!
Why I love Dreamhost
- It’s easy to use. ANYONE can create a WordPress blog easily through Dreamhost.
- Dreamhost web hosting offers great technical support and they are fab! I’ve used them myself and they are so friendly and helpful!
- Dreamhost offers cheap web hosting. You can have a blog of your own and the only real expense you need to pay is the cheap blog hosting which starts at just $4.95 per month if you choose to pay the monthly route like me.
- You get a FREE blog domain.
- THIS IS A BIG ONE: WordPress through Dreamhost is FREE and THEY SET IT UP FOR YOU! You just log in to your new WordPress site!
- You will be self-hosted. If you want to monetize your blog, you are good to go!
- You will appear much more professional to readers, companies, and potential partners if you are self-hosted on Dreamhost.
How to start a WordPress blog on Dreamhost
Decide on a domain & blog name.
The very first thing you will need to do is think about what you want your domain name to be. This can be tough, and I would give some serious thought to this and play around with the domain tool to see what’s available.
I would also take some time and research to see if there are any similar domain names out there that may be similar to your idea OR that you may not want to be associated with.
You want something memorable and catchy, but avoid corny names and something you may not want to blog about in 5 years! I decided to use my name because my blog is about travel AND dogs and those are both things I personally love and know a lot about.
You can get your domain directly through Dreamhost and that is what I recommend doing as it can be cumbersome (although not impossible) to transfer a domain from somewhere else.
Next, we need to choose a hosting package!
To keep the hosting as cheap as possible, the “Shared” plan is what you need.
If you are unsure about blogging, I would sign up for the 12 month plan as this is still a great price and very affordable for one year of blogging!
If you purchase a 12-month plan, your total price is only $48 a year, which is still a great price. Plus, you still receive the free domain name when you sign up for 12 months or more which saves you money. The best value would be purchasing a 36-month plan, as your monthly rate is much lower over the long run.
There is no need to sign up for extra things that you don’t need, so I’d definitely go with the “Shared Starter” plan at first and moved to the “Dreampress” plan when you need it.
When you are ready to create your blog, follow the steps below to buy hosting for your blog:
- Go to Dreamhost and click the “Get Started” button.
- Click ‘Sign Up Now’ under the package you are interested in.
- Enter your domain name you registered with earlier, or sign up for a new domain name here.
- Enter your personal and payment information.
- Next you will be asked to enter a password. Make sure it’s secure as this information is very important.
4. Opening Up WordPress on Dreamhost
- First, WordPress will ask you to pick a theme. You can just pick a random one here or find one that you actually like. Most of them are free and you can always change it later.
- Click on “Start Building”
- On the next screen, you can choose “Business” or “Personal” – it’s up to you. Or, you can click the “I don’t need help.”
What are you waiting for?! You’ve read through all this – it’s time to set up your blog through Dreamhost!